Monday 23 June 2008

A Very Pleasing Trolley

Today should not be considered a 'no news' day. On the contrary, I have been quite bursting to tell you about this for some days now.
The Countess loves to entertain, both vampire and human. Vampires are fairly easy to cater for.. get a stock of good quality blood and they're happy. Get a stock of low quality blood, and they're still happy.... maybe just not as much.
I was dispatched a few days ago to stock Milady's cellar, both for her private residence and also for the Clan Motherhouse. I found a very nice bottled blood, with smashing goblets. (I should clarify here, the goblets are not FOR smashing, it's merely an old English expression meaning 'really jolly good') I also found a very nice Absinthe, some whiskey, sherry, port, and a whole load of beverages for the human guests.
Vampires LOVE to lounge. Show a vampire a comfy chair, and they'll sit there happily until the sun rises (give them blood too, and they'll take root). So, the problem is: we have a load of chairs, but very few table/shelf spaces for setting out refreshments. The few tables there are, usually have candles and the like on them, making it difficult to set a tray of drinks out.
I needed a trolley. I had something in mind.... decorative, the kind that would attract admiring glances, and able to be wheeled out at a moment's notice, and then be adorned with drinks of various types. I steeled myself for a very long search.
The first store I went to had a wonderful selection of furniture. I amused myself for some time just wandering around, half looking at the chairs, but really hoping to catch a glimpse of a trolley. I toured a couple of floors, was standing upon the balcony looking down onto the floor below, and there it was.... the very pleasing trolley. I ran down the stairs and made my way to it, and as I approached it glistened under the shop lights... enticing me, filling my head with images of it adorned with drinks of various colours, in bottles both plain and functional, and exotic and delightful. I had found it, and my heart leapt.
I now owned a very pleasing trolley, and basked in the admiration and delight of the onlookers when I first wheeled it out. The glow I experienced still has not left me.
For your delight, I now present, a very pleasing trolley.
If you're left cold by this picture, show it to your servants and watch their reaction. It's a 'Downstairs' thing.

No comments: