Sunday 10 August 2008

The Dawn of a New Day

The Countess always left messages for distribution, as well as my instructions for the night, on her desk in the Library. When checking the other night, I found a green box together with a note from Milady. She had managed to obtain the Nightshade potion as mentioned previously. I read her note and found that the potion was only newly discovered, there had been no certain cure for vampirism that could be readily obtainable. There WERE cures out there, but these were very rare indeed, as evidenced by Dr Mason having none at hand at the time I was considering the change. Milady went on to explain that the reason I had been kept as Revenant was in order that I be able to be returned to my human state should I ever wish it. That process was far simpler, and when I inadvertantly became full Vampyre, was the reason for Milady's wrath... she felt that she had truly damned me at that point. Now that the cure was at hand, Milady wanted to make it available to me (I'd never have been able to afford to purchase it), and would stand by me, whatever my decision.
I had already made up my mind. Having corresponded with my dear friends Miss Jameson and Dr Mason, my thoughts had become clear.... I wanted to live out the rest of my days naturally. Although there are certainly fewer days ahead than there are behind, I wanted to be back in tune with the natural order of things.
Opening the box I retrieved the bottle of the stange green Nightshade potion, and made my way to the Turning room, the site of the Embrace when Milady or any in her family bestow the Dark Gift upon others.

It certainly felt strange entering the room knowing that I was about to undertake a reversal of the room's usual function.

I uncorked the bottle and the potion began to react in the air. Not wishing to waste any of the precious liquid I placed the bottle to my lips.....

... and drank the potion until the bottle was dry.

There seemed to be no signs of the potion having worked, but as I felt at the spot of a tickling sensation on my neck, I noticed that my bite marks had gone. I smiled widely, although it is difficult for people to ever notice this act as my moustache being of the 'soup strainer' style, it covers the act.

I made my way to the rooftop. The hour was late and I wished to witness the dawn of the new day, and the symbol of the dawn of a new life. Whereas I would have sensed Milady's approach before taking the potion, I was now quite deaf to her soft footed movements. She called my name, and removing my hat as she came toward me, I bent to greet her.

As I kissed her hand she smiled at me. "I am glad you did this Janus," she said. "I can rest easy knowing that your Requiem has a happy ending."


Milady drew me back to my feet, and then embraced me tightly. "What will you do?" She whispered.
"I serve you Milady, as always, to the end of my days."


I didn't need the supernatural powers of a vampire to know that her eyes had filled with tears. Bidding me a hasty good day, she went to her rest,


As I watched her leave the rooftop I noticed that the walls of the Tower were starting to illuminate, much more than my meagre candle could perform.

I turned to face the sun, and basked in its new born light. I'm not afraid to say, I wept more than a manly tear.

3 comments:

Rhianon Jameson said...

Welcome back to "our" side of mortality, sir! The decision could not have been an easy one for you.... I cannot say with certainty what my decision would have been, had I stood in your shoes.

Gorilla Bananas said...

How remarkable that you resisted the temptation to bite milady on the neck before taking the potion.

Janus said...

Miss Jameson, immortality is not all it is cracked up to be ;)

gorilla, I can certainly understand your view, but I am really quite happy having my head on my shoulders and my heart in my chest. Besides, it really would be a terrible mess for Alice to have to clean ;)