Sunday 3 August 2008

Change is in the air...

The Countess has been keeping herself quite busy lately, and not wishing to get under her feet, I've been spending my time just polishing items and generally keeping the place tidy.

A new mausoleum has been added to Milady's land at the rear of the Tower, and although very simple in its design, I find it pleasing to the eye. Alice was not so sure.....

"Ere, Mr Janus!" She said with a wide-eyed look on her face as she came scurrying into the Library.

I winked at the fish in the bowl on Milady's desk, gave the bowl a last wipe with the duster in my hand and then gave Alice my full attention. "Yes Alice, what seems to be troubling you?"

"Ghosts!"

"You're being troubled by ghosts?"

"Nah! Not yet... but they'll soon be 'ere!"

I raised my eyebrows incredulously. "They sent a telegram announcing their imminent arrival?"

Alice blinked owlishly, "I dunno abaht that, but their 'ouse is finished out back." She looked over both her shoulders before continuing in a quieter voice. "Their graves will soon be there.. and where there's graves... there's ghosts!"

"Is that so Alice?" I copied her by looking over both my shoulders and continuing in a quite voice. "I'll you what Alice, I'll have a word with Milady and ask her to make sure that the ghosts leave you alone."

A look of delight spread across her face. "'Joo fink she'd do 'aht?"

I nodded and smiled at her and she visibly relaxed. "I'm sure she would. In fact, I'll go and see her now." I pocketed the duster and left Alice in the Library with her nose pressed up against the side of the fishbowl making strange fishlike actions with her mouth. As I was now on the other side of her heading towards the stairs, I could see her face magnified from the other side of the bowl, and it was all I could do not to laugh at this huge moonface peering cross-eyed with the opening and closing mouth. I don't do her justice here, for she's a pretty thing really.

I made my way out of the Hall entrance door, bowed to the statue of the Dark Lady and then walked around to the back of the Tower. Milady was just straightening a crest on the gate to the Mausoleum as I stopped and gave my little 'clear of the throat' noise that I do when wishing to get Milady's attention.

Milady turned around with a dazzling smile upon her face. "Hello Janus Dear. Does this look level to you?"

I can honestly say, I've never seen Milady smile as much as I have in the last two weeks, in spite of the troubling things that have been occurring. I looked at the crest, squinted one eye and nodded slowly. "Yes Milady, I think you have it there."

She gave it one final look, and then turned to face me. "Good. Yes Dear, what can I do for you?"

I looked around the small enclosure and noticed that there was indeed room for graves. I explained that Alice was concerned about ghosts and Milady asked me to assure Alice that they would not trouble her if they were to arrive. She then asked what I thought of the new construction. I told her that I liked it, but although I recognised one of the crests (the Ventrue Clan crest) I was not sure what the other signified. Milady explained that it was the symbol for 'The Circle of the Crone', a vampire covenant for pagan vampires. I had heard of it, as I'm familiar with all the covenants, but showed surprise as, of all the clans, it is believed that Ventrue is the one that would be least likely to be involved with that particular covenant. When I voiced this Milady laughed and said, "have you never wondered why we have a statue to the Dark Lady? Janus Dear, I'm Pagan."

I laughed and felt quite foolish and she chuckled as we made our way into the Mausoleum. It was very simple inside: there was a small altar with a flaming bowl placed centrally upon it immediately opposite the doorway; a regal looking coffin to the left; and a very delicate looking stained glass coffin to the right. Milady indicated the coffins and explained that the regal one was for guests, as she was making it a haven for those of our kind who needed a place to rest when far from their usual resting place. The glass one is for her and Miss Viviana. The light cast from the flaming bowl gave a warm look to the place, and I found it to be quite comforting.

Milady placed her hand upon my shoulder and guided me out of the Mausoleum. "Walk with me Janus Dear" she said as we left the building. I noticed the sad look upon her face that I had seen a couple of days ago and knew that I'd find out what had been on her mind. We walked down to the water's edge and looking out across the vast expanse of water Milady told me what it was. It seems that a potion had been discovered that could restore a vampire's humanity once again. Milady had the necessary contacts to obtain a supply when it was ready. She looked me in the eye and asked me straight out. "Janus, if I were to get this potion... would you wish to be human once again?"

Goodness, what a question......

3 comments:

itsdavidvc said...

I've used up the last of my Reanimation Serum, good Sir. This may be your only chance to choose between life and undeath.

Rhianon Jameson said...

Oh dear, quite a choice before you! I cannot begin to offer any advice, as my experience is limited to the living. Although I'm quite fond of this state, I must confess...

Janus said...

I thank you both for your input, it's good to know that I'm not entirely alone in this important decision.
'Immortality' is often wondered at. I think the loneliness of outliving loved ones and peers is a pain that should never be borne, especially in the case where a parent outlives their child. Milady has kept an eye over her 'natural' family line over the very many years, and in fact has always made contact and nurtured a 'business' relationship with each one. She has made sure that each one has never seen fit to mention their contact with her, and so as each generation passes, they are all oblivious to the fact that there has been a common link to Milady from each of them.
I've seen the onset of grief that Milady endures each time one of her decendants dies, and when that happens Milady removes herself from all contact with me for weeks.
I AM thinking of taking the potion, especially as I know that Milady will not be alone if I were to go. She has been the only reason for my longevity, and perhaps it's time to rest and pass on the torch.