Saturday 16 August 2008

A Home of my own

Exciting news! Mayor Lindsay sent a telegram to advise me that one of the properties to which I'd taken a fancy has now come on the market. He sent me details of where to collect a key to view the house, and without hesitation I put on my coat and hat, grabbed the carpet bag and umbrella and made for the station.

I collected the key as instructed from the estate office by the railway station and walked to the house. I stood outside for a good few minutes taking in the ambience of the area. Rummaging in my carpet bag I suddenly realised I'd left my camera back at the Tower, so no pictures today.

Opening the front door I walked in to a lovely sitting room and smiled as I drew open the curtains and took in the view. Opposite the front door was a staircase to the upper level and beside that a door to the kitchen. I went through the kitchen door into a very nice kitchen/dining room. There was also a rear door to a very lovely garden completely fenced in. I smiled at the thought of being able to gossip with the neighbours over the garden fence on sunny days.

I came back into the house and made my way up the stairs. There was a large room at the top with a small balcony overlooking the garden and another room to the front of the house, making this a classic 'two up, two down'. I opened the balcony doors and stepped onto the small balcony and took in the view. The railway track ran across the rear of the terrace just behind the garden fence, but the thing that caught my eye was the sight of water glistening in the sunlight between the trees of the woodland on the other side of the tracks.

Securing the property behind me I left the house with a promise that I would return, and walked to the end of the terraced row. I then crossed the railway track and walked to the woodland. The glistening I had seen from the upper room was a beautiful fishing site. Opening my carpet bag I was delighted to see that I had my fishing rod and bait, and proceeded to have a very enjoyable time fishing from the little jetty. Listening to the birdsong and the sound of the train passing by made for a very relaxing time. I was soon joined by a 12 year old lad by the name of Harold who was a ward of the Mayor. We had a very nice conversation and he seemed most excited at the thought of another resident for the town.

After packing my equipment away, and bidding my new young friend farewell I made my way back to the Estate office by the railway station. I left the key with the clerk there and asked him to inform the Mayor that I would be delighted to take up residence in the house. He smiled and bade me a good day with the assurance that I would hear from the Mayor very shortly. I then made my way to Milady's bankers, 'Dawes, Tomes, Mousley, Grubb, Fidelity Fiduciary Bank' and was delighted to learn that Milady had not only instructed them to provide me with the necessary funds to take possession of the property, but also made a gift of a sum with which to furnish the house. I never fail to be amazed at the generosity of the Countess towards her staff, and bidding the young Mr Banks a cheery farewell planned a shopping expedition!

No comments: