Sunday 13 July 2008

Just what Saturdays are for

I knew that the deadline for the items on the list the Countess had left for me would be the end of the weekend, so in keeping with another of the wonderful Butler pearls of wisdom - 'Never leave important tasks to the last minute', I set out to source the items.

I returned to the wonderful furniture emporium of Fatima Ur, where I had purchased my rather pleasing trolley. There were some very nice loveseats there, but nothing that I could find fitting for the Top Tower. I knew that there was some furniture in storage that could do the job quite nicely, but would require something more to make them fall into the category of 'loveseat'.

Milady has some wonderful cushions at the Tower, and so using my excellent powers of deduction *ahem* I discovered their origin. I made my way to the Heavenly realm of Pillow Talk. They have some very nice pillows, but the best way to find out what ones are most suited to Milady's requirement was to have a companion to help me try them out. This is a most tricky situation for a servant.... if I call ones of the maids to assist me, I could be accused of abusing my position of Butler, and, of course, I can't really expect the few young ladies of my acquaint to 'snuggle' with an old man... we're just not on those sort of terms. And to be seen 'canoodling' with an old boy, all be it for the most altruistic reasons, just does no good at all for a person's (I believe the term used these days to be..) 'Street Cred' (sounds like something you step in), they'd have to be mad.

'Poor Dara' very kindly answered my call, and we spent what was not an unpleasant (for me!) half an hour or so trying to locate the right pillows. We then sat by some daisies which very cleverly enable you to sit on the ground in a variety of ways, most useful when the ground is not really ground level, and she updated me with her latest adventures.

Thanking 'Poor Dara' profusely, I left her talking to a tree and made my way back to The Tower. Milady had risen when I returned and so I took the item from storage that I considered to be most suited to the task, and lugged it up the stairs to the Top Tower. Being Vampyre now makes these once arduous tasks so much easier. We placed the chaise, and I plumped up the pillows and placed them upon it. Milady was then quite insistent that they be placed correctly and bade me assist her in placing them. The next few minutes, being in such close proximity to Milady were the happiest I have spent in a VERY long time. Closing my eyes I could almost feel as though it was my beloved Jane there in my arms.... but that is another story.

Satisfied that all was ready for her friend's return, Milady requested that I accompany her to a fashion show to which she had received an invitation. First, we had to make our way to the Clan Motherhouse so she might ensure that all was well with her childer.

As we arrived at the Motherhouse, Milady requested to see my room. I led her to it and was then delighted as she presented me with a new pillow for my bed that enables me to read whilst relaxing. Milady then left me trying it out as she made her way to the Arena to watch the progress of the training of some of her Honour Guard.

We then made our way to SLIllustrated for the fashion show. A designer that Milady favours, Mr Nix Sands, was showing some of his new range as well as a couple of other very respected designers. Milady made herself comfortable and I took my place standing behind her seat as is usual. Milady turned her head, and smiling patted the seat next to her. This really was turning into a most pleasant day. No sooner had the show started, that I noticed a glaze appear over Milady's eyes and knew her to be in contact with one of her childer. When her eyes cleared Milady seemed most excited. It seems that two of her childer had entered an En Garde tournement that was about to start. Whispering quickly to me, she requested that I stay for the fashion show and join her once the show was over. She then disappeared in her usual plume of smoke, and I settled to a nice hour of having to look at some very nice apparel, worn by some very pretty people. It's a hard task, but someone has to do it *winks*.

After the show I contacted Milady's First-Born, LauraAnne in order that I might join them. She very kindly obliged and I found myself in the Edward Partridge Stadium for the En Garde Tournement. The second round was commencing and both Milady's childer were due to start. I made myself comfortable and followed Miss AJ's match which was very exciting indeed! Milady was watching Master Jeffrey's match and through the use of Madame LauraAnne's arcane arts, she was able to provide me with 'her essence' through which I could both relay the results of the match I was watching, and receive the results of the match they were watching.

Miss AJ won her match, but Master Jeffrey was foiled (pun) in his attempt, losing to the eventual winner of the competition. I understand from all that witnessed the event that he fought most valiently and made the winner have to work for it.

We then all made our way to another location within the stadium to view Miss AJ's next round. Another very exciting match took place. While were were watching, Madame LauraAnne asked if I had brought along any refreshments. Never leaving the Motherhouse without my trusty carpet wallet (so much smaller than a carpet bag, but able to hold just as much!) in my pocket, I was then able to wheel out the most pleasing trolley and adorn it with blood for the vampires, and whisky and port for Master Deej who is Lycan. It made for a very civilised outing, and Milady was most pleased that a number of her childer had come along to support the others competing.

Miss AJ won her round, and was then drawn to compete in the semi-final with the lady who defeated Master Jeffrey. We relocated once again, just across the lawn to another area. It was a VERY exciting match! Miss AJ rallied well, coming back from her opponent's early lead, but despite it being very close, Miss AJ lost to the lady who went on to win the final. An excellent time was had by all, and I think that there will be future excursions of this sort within the clan.

Milady noticed that one of her childer that had turned up to support, was listed on the world leaderboard. He is not a visitor to the Motherhouse, being located with his particular line some distance from it. He admitted to Milady that his circle had taken to En Garde, and so would be happy to represent the clan at the next tournement.

The hour was growing late, and so Milady allowed me to make my way home. I appeared in my room at the Motherhouse and got ready for bed. What a marvellous day! I had experienced the company of wonderful people all day, received assistance from, and provided assistance to them.
I looked at my pillow that Milady had presented me, and as I was about to climb into bed, I noticed on my bedside table, a beautiful pager bell. Madame LauraAnne had given me a lovely present of a bell that shows people when I am around, and allows them to call me if they need my assistance.

Life is good... and unlife, as one of a large family of Vampyre, is better.

2 comments:

Rhianon Jameson said...

I saw you at the fashion show - and waved, though no doubt my gesture was lost in the general rambunctiousness of the crowd. May I say you looked most distinguished!

Janus said...

Miss Jameson, I'm devastated that I missed you at the show! I must admit to having been a tad overwhelmed by it all, and so was not as observant as I usually am. I will keep a very sharp lookout for you in the future, and armed with my very pleasing trolley, will be able to offer you some tea.