Thursday 10 July 2008

Rest in Peace

One of my favourite ways to unwind is to tend the gardens around the Countess's Tower. I can often be seen in the moonlight wearing my leather apron and Caledon pith helmet, on my hands and knees on the grass. It gives me time to reflect for there is very little to do in the way of work in the garden. This morning, before going to my rest I was there again. I've now made the decision to welcome my change in circumstances, and can honestly say that I'm in peace about it all. Milady's mood has been excellent these past few days, I really cannot remember having seen her smile so much.
Alice, one of Milady's maids had arrived at the Tower early. She's human, but bears the marks of being in Milady's service with two small bite marks upon her neck. She came out of the Tower bearing a note in her hand which she presented to me with a smile. "'Ere y'ar ducky" she said as she handed me the note. I looked at the item, and saw my name written in Milady's most elegant handwriting. I broke the green wax seal and opened up the parchment and read the contents with interest, short though the message was, it seemed to impart the undertone of a major change ahead.
Alice continued to loiter, and didn't bother to try and read what was written on the page, for the only words she could recognise were my name, and her name. I've tried to teach her to read, but she's quite uninterested, and is happy enough being able to read the names that she can.
"Wossit say?" She asked with a great deal of interest. I narrowed my eyes and looked at her carefully.
"It's a request from Milady to purchase some items for the Tower... not really very different from all the other notes that you have passed to me before. What makes you think that this one could possibly contain anything different to the others?"
"Ther's anuvver wun".
"Another note? For me?"
She shook her head. "Nah, s'got a diffrent name on it... dunno oo's it is tho.. not seen it b'for." She winked as she added, "S'got a ribbun roun' it."
I couldn't help it, my eyebrows raised. "The Library?" I asked. Alice nodded vigourously.
Clutching the note from Milady I ran into the Tower and up the stairs to the library. I was pleased to note that where Alice could keep up with me before, with my new Vampyre status I was quite faster, and had the door to the Library shut and locked before she was within sight of it.
"OY!!" She bellowed from the other side of the door as she pounded upon it.
"I'm sure there is plenty for you to do Alice, I'll let you know what is going on in good time." I could hear her muttering as she made her way back down the stairs to the Hall.
I read Milady's note once again and then looked at the desk. Just as Alice had said, there was a neatly folded piece of parchment, bound with a green ribbon and sealed with green wax and bearing the seal of Milady's family. The silly girl had obviously picked it up and looked at it, but had returned it to the desk with the seal uppermost, and the address face down. I turned it over and read the name on it. No surprise really, and a small smile appeared on my lips. Returning it to the desk, this time the right way up, I noticed a new picture portrait in a frame leaning against the desk lamp. It was the addressee on the letter. I looked back down to Milady's note and read the item at the top of the list: 'I need a loveseat, for the High Tower'. I nodded and muttered to myself... "Well Janus old fruit, looks like you're going to be looking after another too." I couldn't help but break out into a grin.

No comments: