Friday 18 July 2008

Muses and Musings



The present from the Countess that I have mentioned previously, (the reading pillow) has been put to great use these last few days. Milady stirred from her rest in the early hours of Monday to find a note from her consort, stating that her travels were complete, and that she had returned home, and would see Milady when she arose from her rest once the sun had set.


To hear a 200 year old vampire squeal with excitement is a very strange thing indeed. Milady was delighted to find that her consort was waiting patiently for her as she opened the lid to her coffin. I smiled at hearing the sound, and decided that it would probably be for the best to leave them to each other, and so bid a hasty retreat to my room at the Motherhouse.... hence the pillow usage.


The next day, whilst attending to my duties at the Motherhouse, Milady's consort arrived. She thanked me profusely for having placed the chaise in the High Tower, and it seems that they had a most enjoyable night, especially the shopping that occurred. Something to remember: as much as vampires like to lounge, the one thing that will truly put a spring in their step is the opportunity to shop... clothes probably being a favourite of both sexes. I'll come back to this in a little while as I don't want to digress too soon. I was delighted to see the young lady and thought I was being most proper in my address of her. I noticed a strange look appear in her eye when I addressed her as 'Mistress'. I'm quite particular, I do like to accord the proper respect, the Lady Rachel I usually refer to as 'The Countess' or more often, 'Milady'. Milady's First-born, Laura Anne is always referred to as 'Madame'. So, I thought that Milady's Consort, Viviana, should receive the honourific 'Mistress'. I'm most pleased to find that Miss Viviana is not one to hold back if something is not to her liking, and she let me know that this title was certainly NOT to her liking. I was devastated to have caused her distress and apologised profusely. It seems that that title has other connotations where Miss Viviana originates, and having explained this to me, I was more than happy to redress the situation, and we agreed that 'Miss Viviana' ('Miss' being the title I confer on all Milady's female childer) would be the address that would be acceptable. I DO like plain speakers, they make things so much easier. Nothing worse than 'beating around the bush' and compounding problems by not speaking out. I like this young lady very much.


Being at the Motherhouse, I was able to join in with some of the other childer in a very enjoyable game of 'SLopoly'. Madame started the ball rolling, and we were joined by Master Aurelius, who was experiencing a most terrible connection to reality, and had to keep dipping in and out; Milady's new Sword Master, Miss AJ, a most cunning player off the En Garde field as she is on it; and Miss Ash, who has to be one of the most delightful young vampires it has ever been my privilige to meet. I employed my usual tactic (more as a necessity than an actual strategy) of collecting the four 'Telehub' locations, where the rent price increases with each acquisition of the like property. If memory serves correctly, Master Aurelius was the first casualty to Madame's massive building programme. The delightful Miss Ash was next to go (who would visit me now in the cornfield?) and then me. Miss AJ lasted another few rounds but unfortunately was not up to Madame's machinations. A VERY enjoyable experience I must say!


So, with Miss Viviana's return, Milady has been most kind and insisting I take it easy for a little while. It HAS been most pleasant to put my feet up and catch up on some reading. 'The Duchess and the Diamonds' has been most exciting!


Remember the digression earlier?... Vampires love to shop? I see you do, good. AS well as reading, I've also been pondering. Yes, Butlers, as well as ladies, can multi-task. Vampires are most particular about their 'look'. Milady has often said "I have such beautiful childer", and she does, no doubt about it. All of the childer that I have seen Embraced (where they turn from human - revenant - vampire) have been young. They've all been fairly attractive to start with, but once they have received the 'Dark Gift' (vampirism) they really do seem to blossom, and very quickly too.


Now, most of what WE know about vampires is handed down verbally. It would be very silly indeed to publish any sort of difinitive guide to being a vampire, as it would totally blow the 'Masquerade' (the strategy whereby all vampires deny their own existence, and pretend to be human). As a result, we quite often discover new things about ourselves. This is further complicated by the fact that all the various clans have their own 'quirks', distinctive powers and abilities that might be exclusive to that particular clan, or may be to just a few and not all. So what about this journal? Am I not 'spilling the beans' by putting things to paper? Of course not, I'm just an old fool and these are simply the ramblings of a madman. *Winks*


So, to develop this train of thought further.... remember I said about my greater speed since becoming full vampire? Also, the ease of moving the chaise to the High Tower? What if.... a major difference between revenant and vampire is the vampire's ability to regenerate? I was drained and made revenant as an old man. Whilst remaining a revenant, I simply remained in the state I was when made. As a full vampire now, will I regenerate? Will I become younger? Will I too, start to blossom? I have further to go to reach my 'blossom period' so perhaps it will take longer, but I have to admit to being somewhat excited about the prospect. Watch this space!

No comments: