Thursday 3 July 2008

Whoops-a-Daisy

I've been laying low. The Countess was not pleased with me.
Sunday night, Milady was irresistably drawn to the Prop Spinners Pub in Caledon Steam SkyCity as they are having a series of 'holiday' parties in the month of July. Sunday (almost July) was a Halloween theme, and so Milady 'went as she was'. She delighted in the fact that she could watch out for people arriving and shout 'Happy Halloween!" as they stood taking in the scene, approach them with her fangs glinting in the party lights, and they would bare their necks quite happily for her being in the party spirit. Likewise, those that were already there who then stopped dancing for a moment, got the "Happy Halloween!" cry and bite too. The only ones that were safe were those dancing all the while the Countess was there. Fortunately, it didn't look too much like a scene from 'They Shoot Horses Don't They?' with people having realised that if they stopped dancing, they'd get bitten, as Milady wasn't there too long.
I duly arrived in SkyCity to collect Milady. I tried to unload the Hansom Cab, but the world being as it is on a weekend, was having none of it. So I walked to the pub, and summoned Milady's Lift. This is what we English call, what you refer to as an Elevator, and is also the term used when the means of getting home arrives to collect you. In the Colonies I believe they refer to this as 'my ride', but in England the term is "My lift has arrived", hence the pun.
The Lift/Elevator is a wonderful device and variation of the TARDIS, (available now from Wilber's Curios & Antiquities - Caledon Southend). Milady bid her friends goodnight, climbed in the lift and laughed delightedly as the lift 'pinged' as the doors closed. We then dematerialised from SkyCity.
Back in Milady's Tower the Seneschal was awaiting us. I unloaded some new casks of blood and set them up ready for distribution to Milady's personal staff. She's wonderful like that, knowing that our duties restrict our ability to spend time hunting for our blood allotment to combat the daily curse, she makes sure that our needs are provided for. Milady was happily chatting with the Seneschal whilst I moved the casks about. I then started to transfer my allotment from the cask to my own personal cask. I was daydreaming (should that be nightdreaming?) and quite taken up with listening to Milady's happy chatter and laughter, and REALLY not giving the matter the attention it deserved. All of a sudden a swirl of black clouds surrounded me and I started to elevate (without the lift!). Milady screamed in anger as she saw the clouds and me starting to rise - I had taken too much blood and had therefore made the transformation from Revenant to Vampire. If my heart were not breaking at the sounds of Milady's distress it would have been a wonderful experience.
So, 'Revenant Butler' no more..... now 'Vampire Butler'. I don't know if this is how things will stay, but the thought of a stake in the heart and the draining of my vital blood really doesn't appeal. But Milady is softening to the idea.... so we'll just have to see.....

2 comments:

itsdavidvc said...

I have a treatment that may return you to your revenant state, Sir. It was meant as an actual cure for vampirism, but there was a shift to a revenant state before the full treatment was...disrupted.

Rhianon Jameson said...

*Sigh.* I am sorry to hear of your - I don't know whether to call it a misfortune is correct - shall we say, transformation. May you have more dignity than the lads who pretend I have dropped something, necessitating my bending over and baring my neck, whereupon... Do they think I was rezzed yesterday? I simply ask them, as gentlemen, if they would not mind picking up the object for me. In any event, I have no doubt things will work out for you.